Are you uncomfortable about making your first visit to your dentist? If so, then you’re not alone. It’s estimated that between nine and 15 percent of Americans avoid visiting the dentist due to some form of fear or anxiety. That may not seem like a large percentage, but in a country with over 300 million people, that represents a lot of people. Your dentist in Medford wants you to know, though, that you don’t have to continue living in fear and missing out on the health benefits of preventive dentistry. As you continue reading, he’ll demystify the process of visiting your dentist’s office for the first time, taking you through every step of the process.
What Happens at the First Visit?
Here is a detailed description of what all transpires at your first dental visit:
- Greeted by the receptionist – You may still be feeling a little apprehensive when you walk through the doors of your dentist’s office, but the receptionist will quickly make you feel at home by greeting you with a warm smile and hello. He or she will also give you some paperwork to fill out, so it’s best that you arrive for the first appointment at least 15 minutes early.
- Meet your dental hygienist – Next, you’ll meet your dental hygienist, who will ask you some questions in regard to your health history. This gives the staff vital information that will help them provide the safest and most effective care for you.
- Dental cleaning – After your medical history is established, your hygienist will begin cleaning your teeth. Don’t worry – this is a painless procedure.
- First examination – After thoroughly cleaning your teeth to remove any built-up plaque and tartar, your hygienist will then perform the first examination of your teeth. He or she will be on the lookout for signs of gum disease, diabetes, heart problems and other issues that leave traces in the mouth.
- X-Rays – Following the cleaning, a series of X-Rays will be taken to establish your new history with your dentist. This process is vital because it allows your dentist to see what’s going on with your teeth and beneath your gums.
- Second exam – After the X-Rays are taken, your dentist will perform a second examination, this time looking for signs of oral cancer and any jaw misalignment by probing your face and neck, as well as taking a look inside your mouth.
- Final consultation – After the cleaning and examinations are done, your dentist will go over his findings with you and make any recommendations that he may have.
An Incentive to Schedule Your First Appointment!
Now that you’ve been made aware that your first visit is nothing to be afraid of, your cosmetic dentist in Medford has amazing new-patient specials waiting for you!
Here are a few of them:
- Teeth cleaning for only $36 for new patients (cannot be used with dental insurance).
- Free X-Rays and dental exam for new patients.
- Your first dental crown is only $690.
- Get your first dental implant for $890.
So you may be wondering what the next step is. It’s to reach out to the staff at Premier Care Dental and schedule your first appointment today!
About the Author
Dr. Trevor Peterson earned his dental degree from UNLV and has since gone on to provide expert care to his patients for over seven years. His passion is simply to put a smile on the face of every patient. He uses his capable hands to provide care at Premier Care Dental and can be reached for more information through his website.